Litigation/Arbitration: nearly 10-years of proven trial experience representing businesses and individuals in a variety of complex disputes involving contract, tort and real estate, including:
- Successfully defended Venezuelan auto parts distributor against bank allegations of wire-transfer fraud; obtained dismissal of action.
- Successfully represented employee in an arbitration against a major retail company.
- Represented top US textile and chemical manufacturer in the enforcement of its multi-million dollar judgment against Chinese corporate debtors; assisted US Marshals in execution of a federal break order; supervised federal garnishment proceedings and obtained foreign discovery in aid of execution
- Successfully represented defendant in a complex jury trial of a business breakup dispute involving Brazilian securities
- Successfully obtained transfer of venue for Florida logistics company in a federal stolen cargo, insurance subrogation matter in spite of forum-selection clause
- Negotiated settlement of complex glass supplier dispute involving French and US law with evidence in multiple countries
- Successfully obtained dismissal of replevin action in secured financing litigation
- Negotiated favorable settlement in class-action disputes arising under the Telephone Consumer Protection Act and other federal law
- Advised import/export client on validity of confession of judgment papers and contract claims; assist in settling supplier/payment disputes
- Defeated temporary restraining order in a shareholder dispute under Florida law
Transactions: advise on business contracts for international and US clients, including the following areas:
- Anti-Trust: advised foreign companies on regulatory issues in “Minimum Advertised Resale Price Maintenance Agreements (cosmetics and appliance manufacturers)
- License Agreements: adapted EU license agreements for appropriate use in the US
- Sales Terms & Conditions: draft or adapt European Sales Terms & Conditions in accordance with Uniform Commercial Code or CISG for foreign clients and their subsidiaries
- Corporate Formation: advised pharmaceutical white labeling company on business entity combination in the US; detailed analysis of veil-piercing and complex corporate matters
- Warranties: drafted warranty documents across industry and product lines, including for high-tech manufacturing and processing clients, commercial steam ovens and online brokering services
- Real Estate: advise companies and individuals on acquisition of real property in Florida and Illinois; draft/review commercial lease agreements; handle landlord/tenant disputes
- Employment Agreements: advise employer and employee on the terms of employment agreements, non-compete and non-solicitation provisions
- Distribution Agreements: drafted multiple distribution agreements for export/import, manufacturer and retail clients.
LEONARD LAW FIRM
M. Scott Leonard, Attorney
542 S. Dearborn St., 10th Floor
Chicago, Illinois 60605